Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

Start the weekend with some coffee and the cheesiest smile you can muster.


If you're in town (Memphis, that is) for the holiday weekend, you've got to go down to the Sunset Symphony on the banks of the Mississippi. We got to see an air show, hear the symphony and the Temptations AND see beautiful fireworks. But more important to Meredith, we got to meet lots of people. If we were wavering on the whole "introvert or extrovert" question, we are completely clear on the issue now. We were at the park for about 5 hours and Meredith spent about 15 minutes on the family picnic blanket. For the rest of that time, she wandered from family to family and begged for food. One mom said that Meredith was enjoying a "progressive dinner." Hilarious. Also very exhausting.

Here's a picture of Mer hanging out with some people she met about 30 seconds before I shot this photo. I believe they provided the fruit course in her progressive dinner. I should also point out that I had to use the most extreme zoom level on my camera (ie, she was very far away--but don't worry, I think that at that very moment, Lyndi was enroute to oversee her socializing).


Later that night, when Meredith deigned to spend a little time with her own family, we dressed her up in glowing jewelry and played games with her. In this picture, Uncle Matthew pretends his niece is a UFO.


Meredith slept through the most beautiful (and loud) fireworks I've seen since Disney World. It ain't easy being a social butterfly. Or the introvert parent of one, for that matter. That's okay though--I'm truly glad she didn't inherit my shyness. She'll be able to enjoy things like having the right answer in class. Or standing in the lunch line. The finer things, you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think Mommy ever knew how hard so much was for you - I guess that's why you worked your own way thru it so beautifully.