Thursday, June 03, 2010

13 Month Old Comedienne


I just had the most awesome night with Madeline. Despite the fact that I'm pretty sure she's working on another ear infection - and she's only 13 months old - my girl, seriously, has jokes.

You know how sometimes two people are trying to grab something and end up kind of playing tug of war with it, and then it slips out of one hand and bonks the other person in the nose - or something to that effect? Well Madi and I were doing that with a video case. It slipped and hit her in the face - hard enough that I expected her to cry. But she laughed. Hard. And so did I. And then she hit herself in the face with the video a few times and laughed hysterically each time -- and watched to make sure I did too. I have to say that I love this because the Sugg clan, well, we laugh when you hurt yourself. As long as it's obviously one of those injuries that is going to hurt the pride more than the body, we laugh. It's genetic and unstoppable. We've tried to quench it, to no avail. I will now nurture this shameful instinct in Madeline.

Then we went outside and she picked up a scrap of paper. She reached out to hand it to me and said her version of "thank you" - a sure indication that I'm meant to take it. But when my fingers touched it, she whipped it away and laughed her little prankster's laugh. She seriously thought she had punked me. And honestly, the first time, she did.

I never knew 13 month old kids could have jokes. I am such a fan of this girl.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Like when you laughed at that guy on the north shore when the wave blew his knee out while he was trying to get back on the beach? I think you pointed at laughed.

Yeah, that was real funny.

David and Kedra said...

I have to say Daddy had the same impression of Maddy! - especially when she would start to feed him something and then pop it into her own mouth - it definitely was one of his own tricks - played on him!

Unknown said...

Oooh. Dan. You're right. He was hurt. But we couldn't tell. We didn't know. And I totally stopped laughing when I realized he was in pain. Almost totally. And who goes for a dip at the North SHORE?