Monday, May 31, 2010

Graduation Day

Another forced, post-program photo. Walt is representing with his Turtle class tee. Mer's class went with the patriotic tee, to go along with such classic program lyrics as "I may never march in the infantry" and "from the redwood forest, to the gulf stream wa-a-ters."

When you choose a pre-school for your first child, you make yourself insane and miserable. It is a decision fraught with guilt, tension, indecision, insecurity, and other fun emotions. Every woman I've ever known who started the research while still pregnant was as worried about the pre-school decision as she was about the childbirth experience, if not more so. We're talking some serious emotions, people.

But, oh, First Baptist. You were not perfect, but you were darn close. Madie, Gail, Sheena, Tasha, Krista, Grace, Alecia, and Laurin, you were each amazing (and all the rest of you, who weren't actually Mer's teachers, but were still so loving and great). I'm not sure I've ever seen such a large group of people assembled in one place who were so clearly called to do the work they were doing.

On the playground for the wee ones. Sheena took about 10 pictures for me that day, and I love them all.

Teachers, you loved and taught these kids in ways that I wouldn't have understood, or thought possible, before seeing you in action. You taught me how to be a better mom, with your patience and creativity. And as for all that tension I felt about choosing the right school? Well, it turns out that I trusted you as much as I trusted myself - and, honestly, there were some days that I knew Meredith was having a much better time with you than she ever would have with me! I'm so grateful to each of you, and to God for blessing you with the gifts that you share with our children.

After the first spring program they did. I believe that one featured that classic, Mr. Golden Sun.

Charlotte, Lea, and Mer. They've been in school together all their lives, and they'll be together at Peabody next year.

Meredith and Jack were born on the same day and have been in school together all their lives. Jack lives in Mississippi and they start Kindergarten later there. My point? Jack will be taller than his teachers when he starts school next year.

Meredith proudly shakes Ms. Laurin's hand. We're sure that Walt is looking on with pride, thinking of how far they've come.

4 comments:

Chris said...

kate - what a great post. you are wonderful for documenting those years.

Anonymous said...

YES, YES those truly are dear and most precious girls and fotos, and I do believe that you should put yourself on a pedastal too dear Kate. Rather like the mailmen (and women) you have prevailed thru wind, rain, etc, etc. Fantastic words and pics!!!
Love, Auntie D xo

Ginger said...

How did they get so big so fast?! WAAHHHH!!!

David and Kedra said...

In the picture with Jack, this time I immediately thought of Ginger. If Gigi had a little girl, instead of her precious boys that's what she might look like!