Monday, April 20, 2009

16 Days

So here's what's in my brain, 16 days into life with Madeline Jane.

NAME EXPLANATION:
Madeline (Chris' first choice from the moment we knew it was a girl, Chris’ great grandmother's name), Jane (my great grandmother's middle name—be glad we didn’t go with her first name: Albertha). We weren’t trying for the same initials as Meredith; it’s not as if there’s a wardrobe full of hand-me-down monogrammed clothing. But it’s kind of fun.

MORE ON THE NAME:
Meredith still votes that Madeline’s “nickname” should be the other name that was in the running—Matilda. And no comments from the peanut gallery about how you’re so glad we chose Madeline. I’m not planning on having another one at this point, but if we did, she’d probably be called Matilda. And for now, Meredith is still calling this one Matilda every now and again.


MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT OF LABOR:
So I’m 8cm dilated and finally getting the epidural. Contractions are about 2 minutes 30 seconds apart…not exactly a big enough window for the anesthesiologist to work her magic. So along comes a giant contraction and I’m told to “breathe through it and not move at all.” For the rest of my life I will call upon that moment anytime I think I can’t do something, or that I’m not strong enough. Breath through it. Don’t move. Are you kidding me? Good Lord.

MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT AFTER DELIVERY (OTHER THAN, OF COURSE, HOLDING MY NEWBORN):
Sweet tea and Fried Chicken Cobb Salad. All in the complete absence of heartburn. Thank you, dear husband, for the food. And thank you God that the heartburn is gone.


THINGS YOU FORGET ABOUT INFANTS:
Her jaw must be double jointed--her yawns are as big as as her head. Simple sounds cause her to react as if she's heard a gunshot: the crinkling of a bag of Fritos, for instance. Her faces are endlessly amusing, and often appear to be mocking me: "Sure lady, try and feed me again...that went well last time."...or "A fresh diaper, good idea...but I would wait if I were you..." or...."I promise, I'm totally done spitting up now. Really. This is my honest face."


BIGGEST SURPRISE ABOUT OUR NEW LIFE WITH BABY:
A switch has flipped in Meredith’s brain. Anyone who has read this blog at all has probably picked up on my firstborn’s inability to play on her own. She has simply been too social a creature to venture off into solo imaginings and activities. Now, suddenly, she is playing on her own. A lot. And very happily—it’s not in the least pitiful. I guess, in a way, she was right all along. Before, there really wasn’t a reason we shouldn’t play with her (that she could fathom). Now, she understands that there’s a valid reason that we can’t. Whatever the psychology, I’m happy for her, cause she’s having fun. And I’m super happy for me, cause this will simplify life.

MADELINE'S FIRST OUTING:
The Memphis Farmer’s Market opening day on Saturday the 18th. She was a champ. We saw pretty flowers, lots of friends, and I ate a chocolate donut. It was the perfect 30 minute outing.

More soon. We gotta get some more days under our belt!

7 comments:

The Cogan's said...

Wonderful post as always...I hope at some point your up for a visit from us x

Anonymous said...

So glad to read about the new Laraeu. She is precious and I look forward to knowing her through your blog as well as I know her cute sister. Love her name and the fact that it is a family name makes it even more special.

Linda from Texas

The Wilhite Family said...

I had the same experience with the epidural...3 minutes apart and I asked the nurse what I should do if a contraction comes while he is piercing the needle in my back and she said, "be very still." RIGHT!!
Love the sweet pictures of both MJLs!

Lisa said...

Sweet pictures! And I would have been just fine with Matilda! It's cute. (As if my consideration makes a difference! :-))

Freedom Martinez said...

CONGRATS girl! She's gorgeous! And congrats to holding still through a contraction. whoooooo doggies! Rio is 7 mos. now, and they are finally starting to play together. SO exciting!

Melissa Tully said...

Hi Kate,
First of all, Madeline is precious!Congrats! Baby Britton can't wait to meet her and see her at school! Secondly, we are experiencing the same eerie independence with Jack that you are with Meredith. He plays now..creatively and for long periods of time...without the need for my help or entertainment. So weird...but very nice!

Melissa Tully said...

Hi Kate,
First of all, Madeline is precious!Congrats! Baby Britton can't wait to meet her and see her at school! Secondly, we are experiencing the same eerie independence with Jack that you are with Meredith. He plays now..creatively and for long periods of time...without the need for my help or entertainment. So weird...but very nice!