Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Clarity of January


What a great month. Let me assure you, that's the first time in my life I've ever said that about January. But this one is going well. It's been cold, crisp and clear, for the most part. And by clear, I mean that there has been sunshine. Thank you GOD.

So: A fresh start on the year, a rest after the madness of the holidays. Not yet into the doldrums of February or the desperation of March. Time to get things done around the house, take walks, and get all artsy and craftsy. Luckily, Mer enjoys those things too.


She just appeared next to Chris during this project, drill bit inserted carefully in teeth as pictured.


This is what Mommy and Mer did during one of the 487 bowl games. We watched a lot of them, but somewhere around game 82, we needed a finger painting fix. Well, it didn't start as finger painting, but let me assure you that it ended as finger painting.


This was actually New Year's day. I think the high was about 18, but we had to get out of the house. Chris exhibited his usual ability to embrace childhood by making full use of the amenities of Mer's new red wagon. Despite the frigid temperatures, he had to bring along his bottle of Coke, just to break in the cup holders. And despite the fact that we were going out for about 5 minutes, he had to put his new ipod player in the wagon, so we could listen as we walked. I questioned the wisdom of putting either of these items within the toddler's reach, but I won't say "I told you so."


And just this week, Walt and Mer helped me make cake. Nothing like chocolate with sprinkles to while away the winter hours. Of course baking doesn't really expend the energy that sprinting around the backyard does, but I'm staying positive. I guess it's important to remember that winter demands more creative parenting than those lovely months when you just sit on the deck and make sure they don't break any limbs. A season for everything...

6 comments:

Ginger said...

Email me that first picture and you will be a featured artist in the Spickler gallery! Seriously, I'm looking for a photo to hang over my new dining room cabinet thingy and that's the one I want. Please!

Unknown said...

Flattery will get you everywhere.

The Cogan's said...

I adore the black and white picture of Meredith.
You are such a great photographer !
Are you sure that was a bottle of coke in the wagon and not a bottle of budweiser ?
We all need to get together soon :)

Unknown said...

Sarah - It's actually a Coca Cola "blak." Strange stuff. I can assure you that it tastes as though there were alcohol involved. A bud would probably be an improvement.

Anonymous said...

Wow Chris, that's a big boy drill you got there. 18 volts!! Looks like you're boring out a stripped out screw there - you've come a long way brother. I remember when you didn't know the difference between a phillips head and a flat head and when you added oil to your station wagon you'd fill it up to the top. You're a regular Ty Pennington now.

Chris said...

Thanks for bringing up the oil change fiasco. I am trying to leave those days behind and reinvent myself.

I guess I am a regular Ty Pennington. Who's Ty Pennington?