Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

One of my closest friends, Megann Kay McGee Shepard, died last week. She never got to be a mom. In fact, while trying to become a mom, she found out she had ovarian cancer.

In church on Sunday, the preacher, who tried for 11 years to have a child with his wife before adopting, talked about his impatience when listening to others talk about the tribulations of child-rearing. "I would have given my left arm to feed a child at 3am," he said.

So you won't hear me complaining about my daughter's returned passion for rising long before the sun. Or her recurrent tantrums related to car seats. Okay, well, my mom and dad and husband MIGHT have heard me complain, but that's their job. I thank God for the blessing of Meredith Jubilee Lareau. My friend Julie wrote about how, for her, mother's day is more about the blessing of child rearing than about anything spectacular she does. She remembers all the years she created mother's day presents that wreaked havoc on her home (signs that tore the paint off the wall, cakes that weren't edible, cookies packed with her dad's present of a shirt, thereby staining the shirt irreperably). Not surprisingly, this whole mother/child thing is symbiotic. Give and take. Win some, lose some.

Anyway, enough thoughts by a girl who is tired and sad and happy to be a mom.

Here's how we spent the weekend.


3 Generations of Squinty Eyed Smiles (it WAS very sunny)


Hanging out on the front porch with Papa.


Playground fun...throwing caution to the wind. She treats thresholds like rivers of lava but walks up to the firehouse pole as if it holds no threat for her.


Playground fun with T (and Robert, who earlier led a rousing game of follow the leader)


Playground fun with Daddy (fun of the more mellow sort).


Una Princesa Mexicana en la vestida que fue un regalo de Tia Sarai.


Missing Mrs. Clause (otherwise known as Marme Lareau) -- we'll see you soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this family so much it hurts.

angie c said...

On Sunday, I've never been prouder to be a mom. What a great sermon and overwhelming to think of our responsibility as mothers. I know it was a bitter sweet day for you with the past week's events. I'm proud of your strength.

the robertsons said...

I'm not quite a mom yet, but I hope you know what an inspiration you are as a wife and mother. Thank you for being a wonderful Christian example of what a mother should be. I've been alittle emotional this week, so forgive my sappiness...

Anonymous said...

Hey Lareaus
I just wanted to let you know how much your post meant to me. As my heart hurts for a baby, it's so wonderful to know how much you appreciate all of it--even the hard times. I really would give one of my limbs for the fussiest, most colicky baby in the world. We love you guys and miss you too. Hope to see you in August.
Molly (and Chach)