Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Our First Appalachian Hike

I say our first, because I have a dream that some day we'll hike the Appalachian Trail together. I fully recognize that this dream may require significant modification, as in, "Some day we'll hike 1/58th of the Appalachian Trail together." But it's my dream and I love it. There is almost no limit to my love for hiking. I once tried to climb a fourteener in CO while suffering from altitude sickness and as-yet-undiagnosed pneumonia. I still have mostly good memories of that excursion. But I digress...

While in North Carolina we hiked a trail or two off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was gorgeous and glorious. Meredith was a total pro, leading the way and reporting back to us on her walkie-talkie. Madeline was truly expert at sitting on shoulders, and actually did do some fairly significant hiking for someone who hasn't yet hit 3 feet.


Mountain moss.

Land's End vest model. Seriously. Who is this kid?

Camera balanced on top of a large boulder pic.

"One must read all signs, beginning in the parking lot." Chris Lareau

Beacon Point.

Appalachian mountains.

3 comments:

Kedra said...

Wonderful! Believe it or not I, too have had that dream - well, maybe not the whole trail. Since Daddy literaly almost ran a 2 mile uphill trail the year after his heart surgery, I think we could do it!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing that experience! Such beauty seen through your eyes and shared with us.

Linda DOyle

Seema Patel said...

Great family and scenic pics