Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Now We Are Six

Now We Are Six

A. A. Milne

When I was one,

I had just begun.

When I was two,

I was nearly new.

When I was three,

I was hardly me.

When I was four,

I was not much more.

When I was five,

I was just alive.

But now I am six,

I'm as clever as clever.

So I think I'll be six

now and forever.

She is, you know. Clever. And all it implies. The man who gave us Winnie the Poo was a genius, as any fool knows, and he nailed the age of six. She is clever. Meaning aware. Meaning not so little anymore. And it's all going to be more complicated now.

Don't worry. She's still very much a little girl. But she is becoming more Meredith in all she does. Stronger, funnier, weirder, smarter, more frustrated, more focused...

Here's a list of Meredith attributes. Sorry that I have no choice but to filter her through the lens of Kate.
* she's a really good speller. YES!
* she can dance like you would not believe.
* she doesn't care enough about handwriting. (I am trying not to say a word. I am fully aware that handwriting matters not a whit.)
* she's still obsessed with the empty Sears distribution tower at the end of the street, and would like to raise money to help restore it. I have mentioned that people need food and water, but she feels we should address that AND the Sears building.
* she makes eye contact with me, and we laugh at things. This is awesome. Obviously.
* she tries really hard to learn things, when she's in the mood to do so. Which is, praise God, more often than not.
* she is either completely, endlessly patient with her sister, or not at all. This reminds me very much of me.
* she loves to go out to eat. Again, she is my daughter. Like me, though, she is not terribly picky. "Out" is not complicated.
* she is weirdly responsible about some things. "Mom, my map of Kenya is due in TWO weeks. When are we going to start?!"
* she adores Chris and ranges between miffed and furious when his schedule takes him away from her. And does not hesitate to lecture him.

There's so much more. And there always will be. Love you, Mer.

Birthday with community group.

Combined birthday with Lea. They are literal BFFs. Born 2 days apart and have been hanging out since they were 3 months old. Their parents, brilliantly, decided on a combined party this year.

Opening the birthday box from Marme. Hilarity ensued. There are many pics equally as good as this one, and we weren't prompting them.



Party in the sun!

2 comments:

erin lareau said...

Very sweet, Kate. I'm kindda feelin' like some of this blog post may have been written through some teary eyes. Just sayin'.

Mer, seems like yesterday Uncle Dan Dan told me about his brand new niece and now you're six years old!!! We are so proud of the girl you are and love you very much!
XOXO,
Uncle Dan and Aunt Erin

keddi said...

Hey, was that Dan Zanes singing at the party?