Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rewarding Moments

You shouldn't turn your kids into small versions of yourself. But you really can't help it. And sometimes, you can't help but admit that it's rewarding.

While speeding through the produce section at Target, Meredith grabbed my hand and stopped me. Outraged, she pointed at a box of apples - just plain old apples - that had Buzz and Lightyear on them (because is there anything that DOESN'T right now?).

Meredith, still outraged: "Mom. Those apples have NOTHING to do with Toy Story. Those are just apples, and they put Toy Story on there so that kids will ask their moms to buy them."

So BOO-YAH, evil marketing schemers. Can't get my kid to buy your branded apples. Granted, maybe I wish it had been something unhealthier. But still. Hah! She's on to you...

2 comments:

Ginger said...

It's clearly not working on you either, Kate -- it's not Buzz and Lightyear. It's Buzz Lightyear -- first and last name, one presumes. Wish my kid was as savvy as yours, but unfortunately, he's related to Josh, who is more suceptible to advertising than anyone I've ever met. Sigh.

Unknown said...

I am so not surprised that I messed that up. I'm so lame.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that if the marketing scheme comes in the form of an infomercial, Mer is invariably enthralled. "Daddy, did you know that having hair could CHANGE YOUR LIFE?"