Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How do I love thee MJ? Let me count the ways…


My daughter just had the most charming morning of her life. There were no cross words. No drama. No debates. She even played on her own this morning while I did some work. She was perfect. It broke my heart.

Some people worry and wonder how they’ll love baby #2 as much as they love the first child. Of course, it’s never an issue. The love just multiplies. My concern, however, is different. I am mourning the loss of time with Meredith. And I know that it’ll be fine and she’ll be fine and I’ll be fine and we’ll all be fine. But right now, it just aches a little to know that our Mommy and Mer Mer days will be different now.

So I’m trying to focus on her as much as I can, and I figured it was time for a photo shoot when I saw the cherry blossoms explode.


Mer, I love the way you say “here’s the plan,” when you don’t like the upcoming agenda as outlined by adults.

I love the way you call Leprechauns “leopard-pecans.”

I love the way you narrate your life: “She walked quietly down the hall, and gently set the baby on the bed. Suddenly, she heard a BOOM behind her!”

I love the way you ask me how my day was and ask your dad “So, who went to jail today?”

I love the way you say “every each” to indicate the totality of something. And I’m proud that you so often eat “every each piece of broccoli.”

I love it when you turn the radio up in your room so that I can hear it from my room, and sing louder too, in case I can’t hear that. Thanks, babe.

I love the way you tell me, as we walk into the grocery store, that you’re “going to have spectacular behavior so that I don’t have to ride in the cart.”

I love, love, love the way you dance, and the way that you tell us you’re “ready for princess classes” after a really great dance.

6 comments:

The Wilhite Family said...

Thanks Kate. I was really doing much better. Be thankful you had 3 good years with Mere. Imagine finding out you were pregnant when she was 14months! I cried every time I looked at her, b/c she was (is) still a baby. I still feel guilt about missing her babyhood. I know it's crazy and I know, like you, that she will never remember life with just the three of us, but your heart tells you otherwise! Enjoy these days with your Meredith - pretty soon, you too will not remember life without the second Baby Girl Lareau!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you too. I've commented so many times recently how Henry has been the most wonderful child ever the last few weeks and I can't believe we're about to rock the boat. We're definitely looking forward to little Ellen and agree Henry / we won't really remember it any differently very soon but it's still a hard thought to process. But then I just think - if my mom thought the same way I wouldn't be here....and what a tragedy that would be!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Just precious!!!!!
Love, Linda from Texas

erin lareau said...

So sweet, Kate. Mer is so blessed to have you as a mommy. I bet Mer being a big sister is going to reveal more of who God has made her to be and it will make you adore her even more. Love you guys!

Chris said...

i love you honey. thanks for preserving these memories for meredith.

Mandy Grisham said...

So sweet! Enjoy these moments!