Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Siblings


I love my brother. He makes me insane, but I love him. Ahh...siblings. No one gets you like a sibling, and no one gets to you like a sibling. For instance, this past spring, I had had it up to here with my brother's failure to call me back. Everyone in the Sugg clan hates phones, but he was taking it to unprecedented levels. I was plotting angry speeches that would make him feel spectacularly guilty (right). So what does he do? Shows up at the house unannounced and says "Gee, I thought I'd just drop off these Golden Jubilee tomato plants that I bought for you. Since they had Mer's name in them, I thought you'd like to have them." Wow. Sweet, thoughtful, unexpected. Brother. [Mom, no cheesy comments allowed.]

To this day, my brother still makes me laugh harder than anyone else, and he doesn't even have to try. And it's always nice to be with him in a group, because invariably we'll notice the same things, raise our eyebrows at the same things, and laugh at the same things. Just because it's so weird, I'll share something we used to laugh about when we would spend the night on the trundle beds in his room. Anything could set us off, and I loved to go back and hit on the things that I knew would tickle him--certain words and phrases. He would beg me to say them again and again, and then laugh til he cried. So we started a list, and we would say the whole list before going to sleep (usually following my mom or dad's exasperated visit to the room where we were told to be quiet immediately or suffer the wrath). So we would say the list together, trying not to laugh so loud we got in trouble. This is for posterity--don't expect to get the jokes. Although, really, the word pastrami is pretty funny.

Pastrami, salami, mayonnaise, jacuzzi, 4041, 4042, sheep, contact, harty-har-har, rump, bump, goodnight.


That's how it went. Enough sentimentality. The point is, siblings are great. And I'm really glad that Meredith is going to have one, round about April.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! one of the best!

Do people understand "we were spending the night"? (It isn't like we didn't all live in the same house - albeit a strange house.)
(All that to avoid a ceesy comment.)

The Wilhite Family said...

Congratulations!!! And, mmm, I always thought Meredith favored you, but perhaps this picture offers proof! So excited for all 3 of you!

Amber, Brian, and Bryson said...

Yeah! I started reading and wondered if that would lead to an announcement. Congrats!

Ginger said...

So sweet. (And your mom looks like she should be a Breck model!)

Anonymous said...

Yea for the Lareaus!! Hope it's a nice, comfortable fun pregnancy road ahead.
Beth

Chip said...

Congrats, Lareaus! That's great.

I love the photoshopping Meredith into that old picture. That's brilliant.

Lisa said...

I knew that was coming as soon as I started reading the post! Congratulations!!!

Julie said...

I
was
hoping
thats
where
this
was
going!
CONGRATULATIONS!

angie c said...

I love it. What a perfect way to announce. So cute.

Anonymous said...

Congrats you guys!
Lyndi

Anonymous said...

SO EXCITING!! Yeah for more babies!
Love,
Jaclyn

Di said...

That picture sure brought back the memories! That's how we remember you and your family, you know. (We have not aged - our kids have just grown up) We're so happy for you all!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!! I wish I wasn't at work so I could call you. :) XOXO,
Tia Sarah

The Cogan's said...

So exited for you all and Meredith is going to be a fantastic big sister ! COngrats again,

The Cogan's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jesse Faris said...

Congrats, friend! Meredith is going to be one lucky big sister--wonderful parents AND a brand new sibling!

Oh, and I also love your list of words. Hilarious. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the baby to be.
The picture really took me back to fun times at church.

Looking forward to al lthe baby news.

Love,
Linda from Texas