Friday, July 11, 2008

Redstone, CO

Okay, I know that we Southerners rarely make it to Colorado for anything other than a long ski weekend in February. And that's on a good year. But I got this place you gotta see.

It's called the Redstone Inn in Redstone, CO. It's reasonably priced and totally low key, even though it has all the makings of an incredibly posh boutique getaway. Apparently someone in the ownership has decided to resist the influence of Redstone's neighbor, Aspen, and to instead keep it real. The Inn was built as a home for miners back in the early 1900s -- the whole town was a little utopian experiment. I don't know if it worked then, but it's working now.

Near Independence Pass on the way there.

You are here. That's the roof of the Redstone Inn. In the background are the beehive coking ovens. Yeah, I don't know much about the coking process, so that's all you get on that.

The Fire Department in Redstone. We don't know if they were kidding or not.

Biggest pine ever.
Sunrise in the valley.
Plotting the capture of fishies.


Kayle and Mer share a tube.

The "heated" pool was a little cool for this TX girl. These two thought it was perfect. I know I'm lame.

I can never resist a red pickup.

There were so many wildflowers. More than I've ever seen in CO.

2 comments:

The Cogan's said...

Love the picture of Meredith walking through the flowers. Adorable !!

Ginger said...

I wanna go!