Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Do the Charleston

Chris and I went to Charleston last weekend and, despite rain, flooding, and constant clouds, we had a lovely time. Thanks to Keddi and Papa who kept Meredith while we were gone. We've learned our lesson and probably won't stay away from her for more than 2 days in the future. But that's for our comfort, not hers. She enjoyed every minute of her time in Calico Rock.




On the first day, we went out to Ft. Sumter. I took some pictures there, but who cares about some broken brick walls? I focused on my obsession with marshes. I just love the way the colors blend -- the different tones. They're almost like mountains in the way the shadows and shades give them the appearance of a painting. But the complete lack of sunlight stole some of the magic.




We spent the rest of the time in Charleston proper, walking around and gawking like the tourists we were.


Charleston is so beautiful that you don't even think about the fact that you're constantly taking pictures of giant iron gates that are intended to keep you out.


Of course, it helps that the iron gates are works of art.


Here's a follow up the scary picture of the hog in the previous post. A scaarrrrry cemetary.


Almost as scary, here's a picture of the hostel where we stayed. Until now, we've been big fans of hostels. We were bound to reach the end of that road at some point. This place was full of bad vibes and home to the single most uncomfortable bed I have ever encountered in my life. When we asked our cab driver if we were staying in a safe part of town he said, "Oh it will be. It will be soon." Hmmm...


But we still had fun.

Usually when I visit a new place, I love it, but would never plan to go back. I mean, you only live once, right? And those of us who don't have unlimited travel funds have to get lots of bang for our traveling buck and see everything we can on our vacations. But I would go back to Charleston again and again, if I could. I think it would take a long time to see everything, learn everything and eat everything that Charleston has to offer. I can't wait to go back. With Mer. And without the hostel.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Can we come too?

Chris said...

Oh yeah, right, like you guys want to vacation with us. If this audience only knew the travails I have endured...