Sunday, July 08, 2007

Suggolympics 2007


This was supposed to be a post primarily about the incredible athletic feats performed over the fourth of July holiday during the Suggolympics extravaganza. Unfortunately, either there weren't many incredible athletic feats, or I was so busy performing them that I didn't capture them digitally. Hmmm...


There was lots of badminton, which I love because it's a great equalizer. I don't care how great an athlete you are, badminton will make you look silly. Silly though we may be, we are a competitive clan. Here you can see Lyndi and Matthew, standing in front of the scoreboard, debating the appropriate distribution of points for the game they just played. (We let folks assign points based on how hard they played, and how much athletic prowess was displayed in the process...it's, um, somewhat arbitrary).



There were also darts, and I beat Chris. So there's that story.

Chris made an appearance as Captain Olympia, so there's also that story. Sorry that I only caught this blurry picture. He is a superhero, afterall.


There was frisbee golf, and Chris also gave out points for anyone who successfully completed a reading on the conservative stance on global warning. If Sarah hadn't won the trophy last year, she probably would have won this year, just for being such a competitor that she actually read the article. (It WAS worth 200 points, and she DID read it WHILE playing frisbee golf). Heck, maybe she SHOULD have won.

But this year, the Suggolympics trophy goes to Matthew. He played hard, and his house needs some decoration.

Meredith didn't really get into the competition this year, so here's what she did over the holiday.


She sat on or pushed every rocking chair in Mountain View, Arkansas. My friends, that's a lot of sitting and pushing.


She took a walk everyday to get the mail with Keddi.


She was a true champ during the fireworks, insisting on sitting in her own chair and catching on quickly to ear-plugging techniques. I promise--there were some smiles in between the very serious ear-plugging efforts. Tia Sarah offered a comforting hand when she wasn't covering her own ears.


Mer ran around nekkid a lot this week. I'm not making any apologies; she was happy.


Reading the National Geographic with Papa is always a joy. Fish! Fish! Fish!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessed time in a blessed spot - did we notice nature in all our "frivolity"? I hope so.

the robertsons said...

It looks like you guys had a blast! It is so beautiful there. The "nekkid" picture is my favorite!

Amber, Brian, and Bryson said...

Oooo I love all those pictures. Especially the nekkid one too. It just warms my heart to see the pics of Mer. I see you in her so much.