Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Animation of My Childhood


Okay, it was bad enough when they made a movie of the Chronicles of Narnia. But Bridge to Terebithia? They are now, officially, animating my childhood. Amber, are you out there? Do you remember me mapping out our neighborhood, making everyone refer to the different regions of Terebithia? How can they animate that? ARGHGHGHGHGHG. Some things are not meant to take shape on screen. Some things should remain distinct in the imagination; but fuzzy, out of focus, and beautiful, when superimposed on reality. And a movie like that would just give you headache. For cryin' out loud, kids, READ.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister.

Jesse Faris said...

Seconding that Amen!

(We played Terebithia in my neighborhood too. Where in the world are the monsters and giants from in that movie? I don't remember the book having them at all!! Isn't it mostly about Jess's rough home life and the loss of a good friend? I am so confused!)

the robertsons said...

That is exactly the way I felt when they made A Wrinkle in Time (made for TV movie). It was sad to say the least!

Sugg Life said...

I completely agree. That Wrinkle In Time was so terrible. I had to go read it for the umpteenth time to remember how it was supposed to be.

Josh said...

Tere what?

Anonymous said...

How could I forget playing Terebithia. It was a huge part of our childhood. I was telling Brian all about it. It has been years since I read the book but I certainly don't remember much in the movie trailer being like the book. Hmmmm. I wish Mer and Bryson could play Terebithia someday.