Saturday, January 20, 2007

Accepting Your Fate

It's been a good week for a few reasons. First of all, life is always better when you accept your fate. And this week, Chris and I accepted that our daughter doesn't sleep worth a hoot. Our fate doesn't involve consistent sleep. At least for now. In her defense, she goes to sleep very well. But that's the end of the list of positives. The girl wakes up early and often. When she wakes up, she is usually irate. Zero to irate in about 5 seconds. We're working on this problem: trying various child rearing techniques, and spiking her milk with Nyquil. But in the meantime, we're accepting it. Sleep is not a guarantee in this house. It's a gift.

So, once you accept your fate as a non-sleeper, you're free to wander through life in a slightly emotional and incoherent daze. You stop thinking about how tired you are, because it's the norm. At this point it is sometimes possible to start enjoying life again. And so, this week, we enjoyed life. Auntie Beth came home from Europe, and there was much rejoicing.



Daddy came home from work, and there was much rejoicing.



This is a picture of Meredith performing her ceremonial sprint away from the door as soon as Chris walks in the door. She stands and waits, and then when it opens, she turns and runs, knowing that he's going to chase her.

Here's all of us -- tired, but happy.



Well, actually, Mer's not tired. That's the incredible part about all of this. The kid is seriously not getting much sleep, but she's seems fine with it. Maybe she's one of those genius folks who only requires 4 hours of sleep a night and spends the rest of their time studying and experimenting and curing cancer. Right.

Anyway, that's all for now. I leave you with this. Snack time while waiting for Daddy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GRAN IS GOING TO TRY ONCE AGAIN TO POST A COMMENT REGARDING HOW ADORABLE HER GRAND DAUGHTER IS, HOW VERY CLEVER MAMA KATE IS AND WHAT A WONDERFUL DADDY AND PROVIDER CHRIS IS.
HERE GOES!

Anonymous said...

I have found this same principle very useful.

My child requires a lot of sleep and makes your life miserable if you attempt to deny him of this (ie, having people over for dinner who are loud after his bedtime which is 7 pm, trying to leave the house during one of his 2 1/2 hour naps, etc.). He basically expects you to not leave the house before 8 am, between 9:30 and noon and 1:30 and 4:00, and then again after 7. If you do attempt to leave the house during these times, he will make your life miserable in public. He will not nod off in the stroller, he will not be deterred with a snack or toy. The church nursery has to page me every week because church is during his naptime and he SCREAMS the entire time.

I have now accepted this. While it severely dampens my ability to leave the house or be social, it allows me to have a super clean house, quiet time, and lots of hobbies. I may one day go postal from not leaving the house but at least it will be clean when I leave to go shoot some people up!

I didn't even intend on getting on your blog to comment, I had something totally irrelevant to tell you.

Some bit of advice you gave me was more useful than anything anybody else told me. I remember when you brought me dinner after I had Ryan I was talking about what a little you know what he was being about sleeping and you told me to try swaddling. I told you that he didn't like it when we pinned his arms down, but you said to try it anyways and after a couple times of them not liking it, it would relax them. YOU.WERE.RIGHT. This made the biggest difference. As soon as he quit fighting it, swaddling him would put him to sleep instantly. For months. We swaddled him til 6 months old. I have always meant to tell you thank you for that because I never would have stuck with it and it helped us tremendously.

Anonymous said...

good pics and good attitude. I hate getting up in the middle of REM! Stay strong and dazed!
k